Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's Day is coming!

Valentine's Day is just around the corner! Here's a LO I did about my Valentine.



Post a comment with a link to a LO about your Valentine. I'd love to see it!


Just for fun, here are some fun facts about Valentine's Day:

There are different ideas as to where or how the celebration of Valentine's Day began.
The Roman's celebrated a festival called Lupercalia on February 15. This festival was held to ward off the danger of wolves to their flocks and honored their God Lupercalia. This is one idea. The Christian Church had two Saints named Valentine and two other ideas center around them. The Roman Emperor, Claudius the II forbade young men to marry in 200 A.D. He believed single men made better soldiers, free of family concerns. A priest named Valentine disobeyed the Emperor and married couples in secret. The next Saint Valentine was a lover of children but, was imprisoned when he would not honor other gods. The children missed him and wrote messages of affection to him. They threw their notes through the bars of his cell. This may have been the beginning of exchanging messages. He was executed on February 14, 269 A.D. Pope Gelasius in 496 A.D. named February 14th, Valentine's Day, after him. The fourth idea concerning the celebration of Valentine's Day is based on the belief that birds or fowl pick their mates on February 14th. It was believed love birds in particular, chose this day to begin mating.

The modern day celebration of Valentine's Day seems to have begun in France and England. On Valentines Eve young people would gather and pick names becoming a valentine to whose ever name they chose.

Cupid, Doves, Love Birds, Roses, Hearts and Arrows are all symbols of the Valentine's Day Holiday.
Cupid was the symbol for the Roman God of Love.

8 comments:

Liz Chidester said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sasha said...

So cute! My brother Ian was born on Feb 15...my mom was in labor in the hospital ALL Valentine's Day...he was born at like 3am on the 15th.

I didn't know you have a new blog...even more ways to stalk you!

Stacy Milford said...

Yeah!!! I can leave a comment! Love your Valentine's layout! Here's a link to a layout I created this past weekend during the online crop @ Scrapbook Circle (& inspired by the Feb 09 sketch @ Scrapjazz):

http://www.scrapjazz.com/gallery/image/layout/506932.html

Unknown said...

This is a great LO. With wonderful composition and design. I love all the wonderful facts about the holiday. Thanks for sharing!

Darlene D said...

Here's a layout I did of my sweetheart, we'll celebrate 25 years this fall. He's definitely a honey!!! TFL
http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/332391/view/1919117/-1/20/1.html

Liz Chidester said...

Darlene and Stacy,
I love them both! Aren't we all so lucky to have loved ones in our lives and to be loved.

Let's Scrap Design Team said...

just wanted to say very cute LO!
-renee

mommysews said...

I like the history of Valentine's Day. I always wondered where it came from but never bothered to fined out. Now I know thanx!

We didn't do anything with pics this year, but I did make cards for my family. here is the link:
http://paperandroses.blogspot.com/