Friday, March 1, 2013

Dr. Seuss Party

Happy Dr. Seuss Day!!
I am a leader over our church's Young Women program (teenage girls) and we recently had a New Beginnings program with a Dr. Seuss theme. I was happy to volunteer to make the decorations and dessert for this event.

To make the trufula trees, I used PVC pipes and PVC pipe insulation (black foam) for the trunks. I wrapped them with yellow streamers to make the stripes. To be sure that the streamers didn't slip I used Helmar's Tape Runner to to make sure it held right. For the tops of the trees, I made pom poms with stacks of tissue paper.

I wanted to make a Dr. Seuss scene on each of the tables with crazy shaped buildings like in his books so I drew those on foam poster boards with a black marker and cut them out.

You can't tell from my pictures but I also hung clouds and poms from the ceiling to complete the funky look.


I had a lot of fun with the treats. I made super yummy red velvet cupcakes with a cream cheese filling in each (boy, those were good!). I finished them off with a fun Dr. Seuss pick in each.



I also set out a bowl of M&M's as trufula seeds and a big bowl of cotton candy. It is a party after all!

For the drinks. I tore the labels off of pink juice bottles and added my own "Yink Pink Drink" labels from the book "One fish Two Fish". The girls got a kick out of that.



For the program we had the girls choose a Dr. Seuss book and relate it to the values we focus on throughout the year.
It was such a great program and I had soooo much fun planning this event.

6 comments:

Tamika said...

This is cute! I've been seeing so many things (http://creativedelightsbynicole.blogspot.com/)related to Dr. Suess my kids don't have this to my knowledge

Liz Chidester said...

My kids' school always celebrates Dr. Seuss day. They read his books, make a cat in the hat hat or whatever.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.